Classes

21 September, 2011

Since, For, All

When something happened
When did you start (working/classes) today?
I started at 8 am.

When did you first start working at Disney?
I started in May of 2009.

When would you like a reservation?
I would like a reservation for 2 weeks, from December 13th to the 30th.

How long something happened or will take place

How long did you have work/classes for today?
I had classes/work for eight hours today.

How long did you work for?
I worked for eight hours.

How long did you work at Disney?
I worked at Disney for one year.

How long have you been learning English?
I have been learning English for 10 years.
I have been learning English since I was 8 years old.


Since and For
((Time in the past, ex 1992))------- continuous action still happening-------- use SINCE

---continuous action that happened in the past OR is still happening (( 4 years )) ----- use FOR

She's been working with us since May. (continuous action – working)
She's been working with us for a year.
I haven't worked at Disney since September. (continuous action – not working at Disney)
I haven't worked at Disney for a month.
I have been a tourism student for five years. (continuous action – being a student)

NOTE:
Since can also be used to replace because.

He cannot come to dinner, since he has karate class.

All
We use neither for or since with all ( all day/all night/all of my life).
It is still a continuous action, all is used with past present and future tense.

----continuous action that happened in the past and consumes a unit of time (( a day of classes))--- ALL

I had classes all day.

I've lived here all my life.
We partied all night.
The event took place all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment