Classes

27 January, 2012

Delayed Update

I apologize for not keeping the blog up to date, as I have been sick the past week.

In our second class, I had each student select a favorite and a least favorite destination. Each student had time to ask several questions, to discover the secret destination of their partner. I then assigned a 10 sentence comparison of the city you like vs. the city you do not like.

In Class #3 we covered modals, like should, could, and would. We then read samples from the NY Times Advice "The Social Q" and in groups of four, each group came up with solutions to problem solve. There was a minimum of 20 sentences required. I allowed the rest of class to work on this, and until the following class to finish the assignment.

In Class #4 we had each group share their advice column responses. I distributed the corrections to the assignment between two cities, and discussed common mistakes that I found in the copies. I gave the rest of class to those students who wanted to read their comparisons aloud to the class, for oral practice.

In Class 5, I discussed the use of "for" and "since", and use of the words "trip, travel, vacation, holiday, cruise, voyage, and journey". The use of these last group of words is different than in France, although many are the same word in both languages. There are also differences in use between America and England. We split into partners, where each partner corrected the CV in English of the other. I distributed a document with frequently asked interview questions. Each student could use five questions from the worksheet I distributed, and then had to come up with five questions of their own for their partner. We then conducted interviews with each other. A lot of vocabulary used in interviews was discussed in class.

At the end of this last class, I also showed videos that cover some of the pronunciation problems when foreigners learn English, because there are so many irregular pronunciations.


Irregular Verbs Rap Video
Since VS For; Travel, Vacation, Trip, Journey, etc.
Group 3 did not see clips

No comments:

Post a Comment