Classes

13 November, 2011

Mid-November Update

Before the vacation, we had our first Quiz, as well as Presentations. Some of us had a chance to play a version of Time's Up, a game called Celebrity as well, where we described celebrities or famous people without using their names within a time limit.

On returning from Toussaints, we played Speed Dating. This activity allowed each member of the class to create a dating profile, and have many fake dates in a short period of time. The sample profile and dating questions can be found by searching 'speed dating' within the blog.

Wednesday November 9th, we also had a Questions lesson, in which we discussed commonly asked questions, and responses between a tour guide and their group. A list of these questions and responses follows. Consider which of these questions could be asked in a work environment, or changed to ask in a different work environment, other than tourism. We discussed how the best question in your secondary language should be, 'What is this/that?' This is all you need to know in order to ask for more information about anything!

Tour Guide Responses:
Think about how these can be used in any circumstance.

Do you have a question? Do you have any questions?
I'll try my best to answer your questions.
I don't have the answer to that. I'm afraid (Excuse me, Pardon me) I don't know
Is there something I can help you with?

There are responses which can give you time to think about a response.
That's an interesting question.
Hmm, that's a tough (difficult) question.
I've never been asked that before.
I'm not sure but I can find out for you.

Tourist Questions:
The questions in blue have been changed to be appropriate for any work environment.
Where is the _____ ?
What is that over there?
How long has ______ been here?
Where are we going now?
Where are the bathrooms/ restrooms/ toilets? Where is the ladies'/ mens' room?
What time is ______ open until? When does the museum close? What are your hours?
Which ______ do you recommend?
Where's the best place to buy ______?
Is there something cheaper? Will I get a discount?
What else is there to do here? What else can I do?

Tour Guide Explaining Rules or Etiquette
It is forbidden to take photos.
Please meet back here in an hour.

What are the cultural differences here?
Are there any rules to follow while visiting?

It is customary to tip servers and bartenders in the United States.
Although the trip is all-inclusive, it does not included alcoholic beverages.
In this region, we bow instead of shaking hands.

Today, Monday, November 14th we did an activity in which we read fellow classmates articles, and then came up with questions to ask our partner about the article they chose. We will finish this activity on Wednesday.

I used an article, about a retrospective Exposition of Diane Arbus at the Jeu de Paume in Paris, from the New York Tmes as an example, with the following questions:

Where is Diane Arbus from ?
What is she famous for?
Where can I see her photographs, and how do I get there?
What is her subject matter?
What makes this show different from others?
How much will it cost to enter?
What do you think of the show?

The final for this year will be on Wednesday, the 23rd of November. It will feature a short review of the first Quiz, as well as questions about the Presentations, and include topics from Speed Dating, the Questions lesson, and the video lesson we will have on Wednesday this week.

2 comments:

  1. I don't find the sample profile and dating questions in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistake, I thought I had posted them. You can find a new post with the profile and questions.

    ReplyDelete